12 April 2019
Hi, thank you for coming back for the latest edition of Beyond Primary Care’s blog; where I highlight healthy and fun recipes, healthcare news, advice for medical conditions, as well as how membership for care works! Dr. Jeff O’Boyle is the owner of Beyond Primary Care, which is a new approach to family medicine and addiction medicine that creates the time and space your healthcare deserves. Beyond Primary Care serves patients in Ann Arbor and throughout Washtenaw, Livingston, and Wayne County.
The primary purpose of the blog is to introduce healthy lifestyle concepts and answer common questions I receive from patients that I believe are important. I want to start discussions that will help educate, benefit, and improve your well-being.
This featured recipe is Huevos Rancheros. These recipes are my attempt, in a way, to bridge that Doctor’s adage of “Eat Better & Exercise More.” In this post, I will showcase a healthy meal made on a budget, my pictures are pretty decent, and that is how I got into this food endeavor.
Adapted from Gina’s Weight Watchers Recipes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 yellow onion, minced
4 plum tomato, minced
4 tablespoons green chiles
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 tablespoon cumin
1 oz Mexican cheese, shredded
2 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
1 (15 oz) can refried beans
1 (13 oz) package Tostadas
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 avocado, thinly sliced
1) Set oven to 400 degrees F
2) Spray baking pan with oil spray. Place tostadas on baking pan, Drizzle lime juice and add salt to taste. Cook for 2-3 minutes
3) Add vegetable oil to fry pan, sauté onion.
4) To pan with onion, add tomatoes, green chiles salt, pepper, and cumin
5) Heat refried beans in microwave until warm
6) In a separate pan, cook eggs over easy
7) Top heated tortillas with heated beans, add second tostada, then top in order with cheese, tomato sauce mixture, lettuce, eggs, avocado, and cilantro.