Tuscan Tortellini Soup
Hi, thank you for coming back for the latest edition of Beyond Primary Cares blog; where I highlight healthy and fun recipes, healthcare news, advice for medical conditions, as well as how membership for care works! Dr. Jeff O’Boyle is the owner of Beyond Primary Care, which is a new approach to family medicine and addiction medicine that creates the time and space your healthcare deserves. Beyond Primary Care is the only Direct Care clinic serving patients in Ann Arbor and throughout Washtenaw, Livingston, and Wayne County giving families and employers peace of mind with healthcare costs by providing affordable, accessible, and authentic primary care services.
The primary purpose of the blog is to introduce healthy lifestyle concepts and answer common questions I receive from patients that I believe are important. I want to start discussions that will help educate, benefit, and improve your well-being.
This featured recipe is a Tuscan Tortellini Soup. These recipes are my attempt, in a way, to bridge that Doctor’s adage of “Eat Better & Exercise More.” In this post, I will showcase a healthy meal made on a budget, my pictures are pretty decent, and that is how I got into this food endeavor.
Tuscan Tortellini Soup
Adapted from Cooking classy
Total: 35 min
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 ½ cups chopped carrots
1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion
1 cup chopped celery
2 cups chopped green beans, about 1-inch pieces
2 cups chopped zucchini
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 (14.5 oz) cans vegetable broth
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes 1 tsp each dried basil and rosemary, crushed
½ tsp dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 (9 oz) package refrigerated 3-cheese tortellini
3 cups packed spinach
Shredded Parmesan cheese, for serving
1) Heat olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion and celery and saute 3 minutes.
2) Add green beans and saute 3 minutes longer. Add zucchini and garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
3) Pour in broth and tomatoes. Add basil, rosemary, thyme, and season with salt and pepper to taste
4) Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to medium and allow to boil, about 8 minutes.
5) Add tortellini and boil 5-7 minutes longer.
6) Stil in spinach and cook 2 minutes longer.
7) Serve warm with parmesan cheese.