Tater Tot Casserole
Hi, thank you for coming back for the latest edition of Beyond Primary Cares blog; where I highlight healthy and fun recipes, healthcare news, advice for medical conditions, as well as how membership for care works! Dr. Jeff O’Boyle is the owner of Beyond Primary Care, which is a new approach to family medicine and addiction medicine that creates the time and space your healthcare deserves. Beyond Primary Care is the only Direct Care clinic serving patients in Ann Arbor and throughout Washtenaw, Livingston, and Wayne County giving families and employers peace of mind with healthcare costs by providing affordable, accessible, and authentic primary care services.
The primary purpose of the blog is to introduce healthy lifestyle concepts and answer common questions I receive from patients that I believe are important. I want to start discussions that will help educate, benefit, and improve your well-being.
This featured recipe is a Tater Tot Casserole. These recipes are my attempt, in a way, to bridge that Doctor’s adage of “Eat Better & Exercise More.” In this post, I will showcase a healthy meal made on a budget, my pictures are pretty decent, and that is how I got into this food endeavor.
Tater Tot Casserole
Adapted from: Emily Bites
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1.5 hour
1 package (20 oz) frozen tater tots
1 lb (99% lean) ground turkey breast
6 slices bacon
2 tbsp butter, unsalted
1.5 tsp salt, divided
1 tsp black pepper, divided
1 tsp thyme
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes, divided
1 tsp sage
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
8 oz, cheddar cheese, shredded
12 large eggs
½ cup milk
¼ green onion
1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
2) Place a nonstick skillet over a stove with low-medium heat. Melt the butter.
3) In a mixing bowl, combing turkey, ¾ tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, sage, thyme, nutmeg, and ¼ tsp crushed red pepper. Stir until the turkey is well combined with the seasoning. Add to skillet.
4) Break up the turkey with a spoon or spatula, cook until turkey is cooked through.
5) Pour frozen tater tots into the casserole dish and arrange into a single layer.
6) Once the turkey is cooked, spread the mixture on top of the tater tots.
7) Add the bacon back to the skillet, turn the heat to medium. Cook until crisp. Once done, remove to a layer of paper towels, pat dry and crumble the bacon.
8) Add the bacon on top of the turkey in the casserole dish. Add the cheddar cheese on top.
9) In the mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, green onions, ¾ tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, and ¼ tsp red pepper flakes. Beat the eggs and seasoning with a whisk. When beaten, pour the eggs over the top of the cheese layer in the baking dish.
10) Bake for 50-60 minutes or until eggs are cooked through and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.