Hi, thank you for coming back for the latest edition of Beyond Primary Cares blog; where I highlight healthy and fun recipes, healthcare news, advice for medical conditions, as well as how membership for care works! Dr. Jeff O’Boyle is the owner of Beyond Primary Care, which is a new approach to family medicine and addiction medicine that creates the time and space your healthcare deserves. Beyond Primary Care is the only Direct Care clinic serving patients in Ann Arbor and throughout Washtenaw, Livingston, and Wayne County giving families and employers peace of mind with healthcare costs by providing affordable, accessible, and authentic primary care services.
The primary purpose of the blog is to introduce healthy lifestyle concepts and answer common questions I receive from patients that I believe are important. I want to start discussions that will help educate, benefit, and improve your well-being.
This featured recipe is a Panzanella Salad. These recipes are my attempt, in a way, to bridge that Doctor’s adage of “Eat Better & Exercise More.” In this post, I will showcase a healthy meal made on a budget, my pictures are pretty decent, and that is how I got into this food endeavor.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Adapted from: The Pioneer Woman
1 loaf tomato bread from panera or any flavored bread you like
6 whole assorted tomatoes, cut into wedges
½ cup corn
1 Avocado, cubed
4 strips bacon, cooked and broken into small pieces
¼ cup olive oil and more for drizzling on bread
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
15 basil leaves, destemmed, roughly chopped
½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
1 bunch romaine lettuce, shredded
1) Turn oven to 400 F.
2) Spray a cookie sheet with a non-stick spray, place over a cooking tray. Lay bacon strips on top, bake bacon for approx 20-25 minutes.
3) While bacon is cooking, prepare bread by cutting into 1 inch cubes, arrange on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
3) Once bacon is cooked, remove from oven and let cool.
4) Turn oven down to 275 F and place the pan into oven for 20-25 minutes to slightly crisp the bread without toasting it. Remove from oven and let cool.
5) In a large bowl, combine avocado, tomatoes, and corn.
6) In a small bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour over salad ingredients, tossing gently. Add basil and parmesan cheese, toss again.
7) Add cooled bread and bacon to bowl, toss.
8) Place romaine lettuce on a plate. Add salad ingredients. Serve