Spinach & Artichoke Dip
Hi, thank you for coming back for the latest edition of Beyond Primary Cares blog; where I highlight healthy and fun recipes, healthcare news, advice for medical conditions, as well as how membership for care works! Dr. Jeff O’Boyle is the owner of Beyond Primary Care, which is a new approach to family medicine and addiction medicine that creates the time and space your healthcare deserves. Beyond Primary Care serves patients in Ann Arbor and throughout Washtenaw, Livingston, and Wayne County.
The primary purpose of the blog is to introduce healthy lifestyle concepts and answer common questions I receive from patients that I believe are important. I want to start discussions that will help educate, benefit, and improve your well-being.
This featured recipe is a Spinach and Artichoke Dip. These recipes are my attempt, in a way, to bridge that Doctor’s adage of “Eat Better & Exercise More.” In this post, I will showcase a healthy meal made on a budget, my pictures are pretty decent, and that is how I got into this food endeavor.
Adapted from: Food Network, Houstons
Prep time: 25 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
2 (10 oz) bag spinach, destemmed
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 TB all purpose flour
1 ¼ cups milk
½ tsp lemon juice
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 ¼ cups parmesan cheese, grated
¼ cup sour cream, plus more for serving
½ cup white sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
½ cup artichoke hearts, squeezed dry and roughly chopped
Tortilla chips for serving
1) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Stiri in the spinach and cook until bright green, about 30 seconds. Drain and rinse under cold water; squeeze out the excess moisture, then finely chop.
2) Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and ½ tsp salt and cook until the onion is soft, about 2 minutes.
3) Add the flour and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
4) Whisk in the milk and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, parmesan and sour cream.
5) Return the pot to medium heat. Add the spinach, cheddar and artichokes and stir until the cheese melts and dip is heated through.
6) Serve with tortilla chips, salsa, and sour cream.