Pesto topped Scrambled Eggs with Bacon
Hi, thank you for coming back for the latest edition of Beyond Primary Cares blog; where I highlight healthy and fun recipes, healthcare news, advice for medical conditions, as well as how membership for care works! Dr. Jeff O’Boyle is the owner of Beyond Primary Care, which is a new approach to family medicine and addiction medicine that creates the time and space your healthcare deserves. Beyond Primary Care serves patients in Ann Arbor and throughout Washtenaw, Livingston, and Wayne County.
The primary purpose of the blog is to introduce healthy lifestyle concepts and answer common questions I receive from patients that I believe are important. I want to start discussions that will help educate, benefit, and improve your well-being.
This featured recipe is Pesto topped Scrambled Eggs with Bacon. These recipes are my attempt, in a way, to bridge that Doctor’s adage of “Eat Better & Exercise More.” In this post, I will showcase a healthy meal made on a budget, my pictures are pretty decent, and that is how I got into this food endeavor.
Pesto Topped Scrambled Eggs with Bacon
Adapted from: Spoon Fork Bacon
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
3 garlic cloves, whole
3 tablespoons walnuts
1 ½ cups basil leaves
⅓ cup olive oil, divided
3 oz parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
3 oz whole milk
2 tbsp butter
8 strips bacon
1 large french baguette
1) Turn oven to 400 F.
2) Spray a cookie sheet with a non-stick spray, place over a cooking tray. Lay bacon strips on top, bake bacon for approx 20-25 minutes.
3) While bacon is cooking, prepare pesto sauce. Place garlic and walnuts into a food processor and pulse until small pieces. Add basil and 2 tablespoons oil and pure and roughly chopped. Add remaining oil into the food processor. Season with salt and pepper. Add in parmesan. Set aside.
4) Slice the baguette lengthwise. Once bacon is done cooking place on top of the cookie tray (not in bacon juice) face up and lightly toast.
5) Using a non-stick saute pan over low-medium heat, melt butter.
6) Crack eggs and cream into a mixing bowl and whisk.
7) Place the egg mixture into skillet, using a wooden spoon to stir eggs until they break up. Once eggs set, remove from heat.
8) Butter baguette slices if wanted, tehn top each with crispy bacon, divide the eggs evenly over the baguettes, and drizzle with prepared pesto. This can be served immediately or allowed to cool and placed in the refrigerator wrapped in wax paper until needed.