BPC Good Eats: Chicken Stuffed Acorn Squash
Hello and thank you reading my blog at Beyond Primary Care and trying the BPC Good Eats recipes. This featured recipe is a Chicken Stuffed Acorn Squash. These recipes are my attempt, in a way, to bridge that Doctor’s adage of “Eat Better & Exercise More.” In this post, I will showcase a healthy meal made on a budget, my pictures are pretty decent, and that is how I got into this food endeavor.
Chicken Stuffed Acorn Squash
Adapted from: Eat At Our Table
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
2 small acorn squash (2-3 lbs)
1 tsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 (12 oz package) chicken sausage- your choice flavor
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 tbsp thyme leaves
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup grated parmesan (divided)
½ cup panko bread crumbs
1 egg (beaten)
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1) Preheat oven to 400F.
2) Cut acorn squash in half, rub with teaspoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper
3) Place the squash cut side down on a sprayed baking sheet and roast 20 minutes.
4) While squash is roasting, place a saute pan on over medium-high heat, add 1 tsp of olive oil
5) Cut the chicken sausage into bite sized pieces and brown in saute pan
6) Add the fresh herbs and sautee for an additional minute, then remove from heat.
7) In a bowl combine the cooked quinoa, ½ cup parmesan, panko, and salt / pepper.
8) Add the chicken sausage/herb mixture to bowl, and stir together. Add the egg and stir again.
9) Stuff chicken mixture into acorn squash, sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
10) Bake for 20-25 minutes