BPC Good Eats: Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
Hello and thank you reading my blog at Beyond Primary Care and trying the BPC Good Eats recipes. This featured recipe is a Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup. These recipes are my attempt, in a way, to bridge that Doctor’s adage of “Eat Better & Exercise More.” In this post, I will showcase a healthy meal made on a budget, my pictures are pretty decent, and that is how I got into this food endeavor.
Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup Slow Cooker
Adapted from: 365 days of slow cooking
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes + slow cooking time
2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced carrots
1 cup finely diced onions
1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano
¼ cup fresh basil
4 cups chicken broth
½ cup flour
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
½ cup butter
2 cups half and half
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1) Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, oregano, and basil to large slow cooker.
2) Cover and cook on low until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.
3) About 45 minutes before serving, take the vegetables out of slow cooker and add them to a blender until smooth. If you prefer a chunkier texture you can leave it as is or just blend some of it. Return blended veggies to slow cooker.
4) Meanwhile, in a saute pan over low heat melt butter and add flour. Stir roux constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. Slowly whisk in 1 cup hot soup. Add another 3 cup and stir until smooth. Add all back into slow cooker.
5) Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, half and half very slowly, salt and pepper.
6) Cover and cook on low for an additional 30 minutes or until ready to serve.