BPC Good Eats: Spinach and Cheese Ravioli with Meatballs
Hello and thank you reading my blog at Beyond Primary Care and trying the BPC Good Eats recipes. This featured recipe is a Spinach and Cheese Ravioli with Meatballs. These recipes are my attempt, in a way, to bridge that Doctor’s adage of “Eat Better & Exercise More.” In this post, I will showcase a healthy meal made on a budget, my pictures are pretty decent, and that is how I got into this food endeavor.
Creamy Spinach and Cheese Ravioli with Meatballs
Adapted from: Peas And Crayons
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
1 lb prepared meatballs
1 (9 oz) package small refrigerated ravioli
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup milk with extra to thin sauce as needed
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoons pesto
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
1) Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.Cook the ravioli according to package directions until al dente. Drain water ravioli, place ravioli in a bowl and set aside.
2) Place a saute pan over medium-high heat, cook the meatballs until tender.
3) While the pasta and meatballs cooks, heat the oil in a large stainless pan/skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until tender and translucent, approx. 5 minutes. Add garlic for 2 minutes.
4) Add butter and garlic to the pan. Once butter has melted, add flour and whisk constantly with a metal whisk until the butter and flour are well combined and the mixture darkens in color a bit.
5) Pour in milk and whisk vigorously to combine. Whisk often until mixture thickens. Add parmesan, pesto salt, and pepper.
6) Once your sauce has reached desired thickness, fold in your chopped spinach and cooked ravioli and meatballs.
7) Thin sauce if desired with additional milk and adjust salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat, top with grated mozzarella and cover with the pot’s lid to melt the cheese.